Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Knocking at the Door

I was watching a popular Christian teacher on TV yesterday morning and she said something interesting. I won't post her name here because some people find her teaching controversial and I wouldn't want to send anybody down the wrong path. I always watch her with a very critical eye to make sure what I'm hearing is in line with the Word of God. In this case, I think it is.


She said, "Prayer opens the door for God to work." Because I was watching critically, I was a little surprised that she didn't have a scriptural reference to back this statement up, so I decided to go do a little research myself.


I found Matthew 7:7-8, which says, "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened."


Obviously, the verse above doesn't specifically say "pray and the door to God will open," but I think the meaning is there. How else are we to "ask" but through prayer? How else are we to "knock" on God's door but through prayer? I believe that God is so close to us at all times, that if we simply turn and face Him, we will find ourselves on His doorstep. All that is left to do is to knock and ask.


The reason I found this interesting is that my book club is currently reading I Stand at the Door and Knock by the amazing Corrie Ten Boom. I haven't technically started reading it yet, but just the title of the book has already served a purpose by bringing to mind that famous verse from Revelation, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me." (Rev 3:20). 


So wait a minute, who is knocking? Is it us, or Jesus?


Newsflash: it's both. That is why I believe the teacher's statement "Prayer opens the door for God to work" is accurate. Prayer is where you and I can meet Jesus Christ while still here on earth; we are both knocking at the same door! 


Doesn't it make you feel better when you walk up to someone's door if you know he or she is expecting you? Most likely you've been invited, so you know you are welcome and that someone will be home to let you in. It's a much better feeling than ringing the bell when you feel you could be intruding, or you've come at a bad time. We can walk up to God's door with the assurance of God's Word that Jesus Christ is standing on the other side, waiting to dine with us. We are not only welcomed, but invited into His presence. 


Knock on the door. He is waiting to open it and walk straight into your life. Let Him in and see what He can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment